Brochure Type: Europe & Britain: 2022
Explore the ancient sites of Ephesus and Troy, behold the grandeur of the Hagia Sophia and dive into the history of this fascinating country.
- Istanbul: Enjoy getting to know your fellow travellers as you savour a delicious Welcome Dinner in a local restaurant.
- Cappadocia: Discover the flavours of Cappadocia as you indulge in a regional dinner of colourful dishes, before watching a spectacular Sema performance of Whirling Dervishes at a 13th century Seljuk Caravanserai.
- Istanbul: Toast the culmination of your tour with a lively Celebration Dinner at a popular local restaurant.
- Dining Summary: 14 Breakfast (B), 9 Dinner with Wine (DW), 1 Lunch (L)
- Cappadocia: Join a Cappadocian local, who has lived in the city for decades and take a tour of their cave house, where you'll learn more about their unique way of life.
- Uchisar: Enjoy the unique flavours of Anatolia at Uchisar Kadineli Restaurant, where every dish is homemade with love. This remarkable establishment provides employment for more than 65 women from the village. Uchisar Kadineli Restaurant advances SDG 5: Gender Equality. The restaurant is own by women and focuses on empowering women through employment. Some employed as administrators, some as teachers, some as cooks and some as waiters. Here they are taught how to sow clothes by using modern technology, how to knit, how to cook, how to make various kinds of artifacts, and how to merchandise their products and convert it to money for their families.
- Bursa: On your orientation with your Travel Director visit the town's mosques, bazaars and famous Silk Market.
- Cumalikizik: Visit the over 700 year-old village to get glimpse into what Ottoman villages away from the capital looked like.
- Ankara: On your orientation with your Travel Director of the capital of modern Turkey discover its Roman and Byzantine heritage, visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations and the Mausoleum of Ataturk.
- Goreme : With your Local Expert, explore the underground cities, rock-cut churches, fairy-tale chimneys and the Pasabag Valley.
- Avanos: Learn about pottery making.
- Anatolia: Visit a well preserved Seljuk Caravanserai.
- Konya: Accompanied by your Local Expert, visit the beautiful Mevlana Tekke museum for an insight into the mystic Whirling Dervishes. See the Karatay Medrese and Ince Minaret.
- Antalya: Visit the historic Old Town and wander through its charming narrow streets, discovering souvenir markets and sweeping sea views.
- Pamukkale: See the cascading Cotton Castle of milky white travertine pools and the ancient ruin of Hierapolis.
- Temple of Aphrodite: Visit the open-air museum Aphrodisias dedicated to goddess Aphrodite, see the ancient city and statues that have survived preserving most of their originality.
- Izmir: Explore this city with your Travel Director.
- Ephesus: Discover one of the world's finest ancient sites. Led by your Local Expert, walk the Arcadian Way, see the Library of Celsus and Amphitheatre and visit the House of the Virgin Mary.
- Pergamon: Visit Asklepion, the first hospital and spa centre in the world for physical and mental health and see its well-preserved and impressive Roman columns.
- Troy: On your orientation with your Travel Director hear about the nearly 4000 year-old settlement, see the wooden Trojan Horse and hear about myths and legends connected to this archaeological site.
- Gallipoli: Pay your respects at Anzac Cove and Lone Pine Cemetery.
- Istanbul: With a Local Expert visit the Blue Mosque and St. Sophia museum and gain an insight into the lives of the Ottoman sultans at the fabulous Topkapi Palace.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with onboard washroom
- Alternate vehicles without onboard washroom or 40 seats may be used on occasion
- On departures with 8 or more guests, personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- Complimentary transfers from/to Istanbul Airport are available on arrival and departure days, or with additional accommodation booked through Insight Vacations
Call (269) 657-5529 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15392320
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 3/31/2021
- 15 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Istanbul||Welcome to Istanbul: Welcome to Turkey. You'll start in vibrant Istanbul, where a representative will pick you up from the airport and transfer you to your hotel. Located in the heart of the city, you'll be close to Taksim Square, which is famous for its Republic Monument, dining and shopping options. Join your Travel Director at 18:30 for a Welcome Reception and Dinner, where you'll get to know your fellow travellers. (Dinner with Wine)|
Grand Hyatt Istanbul.
|Day 2||Bursa||Bosphorus Cruise and Bursa: In the morning embark on a cruise along Bosphorus, one of the world's busiest waterways. Leisurely cruise past the quaint fishing villages that line its shores. Travel towards the old city and see the beautiful Ottoman waterfront palaces and fortresses. Later, leave Istanbul for Bursa. A large city in northwest Turkey, it was the first major capital of the Ottoman Empire. There will be time in the afternoon to explore the city's bazaars, silk markets and historic monuments. This evening, venture to a local restaurant for a tasty meal. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Sheraton Bursa Hotel.
|Day 3||Ankara||Cumalikizik and Gordion: Begin your day of culture with a visit to the glorious Green Mosque, Mausoleum complex and Grand Mosque in Bursa. Continue to the charming Cumalikizik village, with its traditional wooden houses and very narrow cobblestone streets. Later you'll head to Gordion, which was once the capital city of ancient Phrygia, as you make your way to Turkey's modern capital, Ankara. Enjoy a relaxed evening at your hotel, the Hilton SA. Perhaps take a dip in its indoor pool or unwind in its jacuzzi or hammam. (Breakfast)|
Ankara HiltonSA, Ankara.
|Day 4||Cappadocia||Sophisticated Ankara: A day for history enthusiasts, explore Turkey's bustling cultural capital, Ankara. Sightseeing includes a visit to the Hittite Museum and Anit Kabir, the Mausoleum of Ataturk, Turkey's greatest modern leader and the first President of the Republic of Turkey. Later, head to Avanos in Cappadocia. Famed for its unique geological formation, Cappadocia is an agreeable mix of golden hills and towering panoramic views. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
DoubleTree by Hilton Avanos, Cappadocia.
|Day 5||Cappadocia||The Underground Cities of Cappadocia Experience: With its striking golden, volcanic landscapes, underground city and otherworldly buildings, Cappadocia could never be called ordinary. At every turn you'll be delighted with yet another geographical or architectural surprise. Today you'll travel to the striking town of Goreme. Explore its rock-hewn churches decorated with ancient wall paintings. You are treated to the unique flavours of Anatolia at Uchisar Kadineli Restaurant, an establishment that provides employment for the women of the village and supports their financial freedom before moving on to the Pasabag Valley. Move on to the underground city of Ozkonak where you'll have time to explore its tunnels and holes with your Travel Director. Later, join a Cappadocian local who has lived in the city for decades and take a tour of their cave house, where you'll learn more about their unique way of life, local traditions and family life. Complimenting the day's events, after dinner tonight at your hotel, you will witness a performance of Whirling Dervishes. (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner with Wine)|
DoubleTree by Hilton Avanos, Cappadocia.
|Day 6||Konya||Konya: Start your day by learning more about traditional pottery making in Avanos. It's then time to take a journey along the famous Silk Road, as you visit a 13th century caravanserai, a historic roadside inn where travellers would rest and recover after a day's journey, most notably along the iconic road itself. Later, you'll head to Turkey's most religious city, Konya, the old capital of the Anatolian Seljuk Empire. Once here, visit the Mevlana Museum, with its beautiful fluted turquoise dome, and see the Karatay Medrese and Ince Minaret. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Novotel Konya Hotel.
|Day 7||Antalya||Through the Taurus Mountains: You day begins with a scenic drive down the Taurus Mountains to Aspendos, an ancient city in Antalya. Known for having the best-preserved Roman theatre anywhere in the world, learn more as you explore it with your fellow travellers. Continue to your hotel for the next two nights and enjoy time to relax. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Akra Barut Antalya.
|Day 8||Antalya||Antalya's Old Town: Start your day with a visit to Antalya's pretty Old Town, with its souvenir markets and sweeping sea views. The rest of the day is free to relax and enjoy the leisure facilities at your hotel. Alternatively, explore Antalya at your own pace. Ask your Travel Director for recommendations on places to explore in the city, take a stroll around the harbour or perhaps take a boat trip off the coast. (Breakfast)|
Akra Barut Antalya.
|Day 9||Pamukkale||The Pools of Pamukkale: Cross the soaring Taurus Mountains to see the remains of the ancient city of Hierapolis, a Roman spa city founded around 190 B.C. Next to the ruins, you can see the gleaming white travertine terraces of Pamukkale. Famous for its mineral-rich thermal waters and chalk-white limestone terraces, explore the area with your Travel Director. Later, head back to your hotel, the esteemed Doga Thermal Health & Spa. Take full advantage of its indoor and outdoor thermal pools, steam room and its Turkish bath complex. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Doga Thermal Health & Spa, Pammukale.
|Day 10||Izmir||Izmir: Start your morning with a trip to the Temple of Aphrodite, dedicated to the goddess of love, beauty and fertility, in Geyre. Based in the ruins of the ancient city of Aphrodisias, it was the focal point of the city in its heyday. You'll see the towering, fourteen columns of the temple that have been re-erected. End your day in the quaint Aegan port of Izmir. (Breakfast)|
Swissotel Buyuk Efes, Izmir.
|Day 11||Ephesus||Ancient Ephesus: Today you'll spend the day exploring pretty Izmir, Turkey's third largest city. A vibrant destination on Turkey's Aegean coast, it is was founded by the Greeks and has been an important port since ancient times. Explore one of the world's finest archaeological sites, Ephesus. Walk through the colonnaded Arcadian Way, see the Library of Celsus and the huge Amphitheatre, before visiting the House of the Virgin Mary, a famous Catholic and Muslim shrine, situated above the Ephesus ruins. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Swissotel Buyuk Efes, Izmir.
|Day 12||Canakkale||Pergamon, Troy and Canakkale.: Begin your day of legends with a trip to Pergamon. Once a powerful ancient Greek city, you'll find the Asklepion temple here. A famous shrine and healing centre, it was built in honour of Asklepios, the god of medicine. Next, head to Homer's city of Troy, the focal point of the Trojan war and the backdrop to one of history's most famous love stories, that of Paris and Helen of Troy, the face that launched 1000 ships. A replica of the mighty Trojan Horse, which helped the Greeks capture the city in 1200 B.C., can be found beside the city's walls. After some time exploring, continue your journey to Canakkale, a gateway to the Gallipoli WWI battlefields. (Breakfast)|
Kolin Hotel, Canakkale.
|Day 13||Istanbul||Gallipoli and ANZAC Cove: This morning, cross the Dardanelles Strait by ferry to the Gallipoli Peninsula. Located in the southern part of East Thrace, it was here that, for nine months during the Great War, Anzac troops fought, in an attempt to gain control of the Dardanelles Strait. Learn more about these events as you visit Anzac Cove and pay your respects at the Lone Pine Cemetery. Later, return to Istanbul where you'll spend the next two nights. (Breakfast)|
Grand Hyatt Istanbul.
|Day 14||Istanbul||Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire: Today you'll take in the sites of Istanbul. In the morning, visit the historic Blue Mosque. Made up of domes and minarets, head inside and see its beautiful blue tiled interiors. See the Hippodrome, where Roman chariot races were held, before exploring Hagia Sophia. Built in 537 AD, it is now a museum, famous for its domed roof. Visit the Topkapi palace, perched above the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn, the primary inlet of the waterway. Enjoy the excitement of bargaining in the bustling Grand Bazaar. In the evening, join your fellow travellers and toast to your trip over a Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Grand Hyatt Istanbul.
|Day 15||Istanbul||Farewell Istanbul: It's time to say goodbye to your new friends, as your trip comes to an end. A transfer will take you to the airport for your onward flights, or for those extending their stay in Istanbul, speak to your Travel Director for tips and tricks on where to head. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Notes: This is a 2022 Preview itinerary. Please refer to the booking conditions page for full terms and conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class